Monday 11 October 2010

Shiro Meda 2010

Cien with the children of Tsegereda

Addis Ababa: October 7, 2010

by Cien Keilty-Lucas

At the base of the esteemed Entoto mountain, the district of Shiro Meda imparts a unique sense of calm. Unlike many of Addis Ababa’s neighborhoods, the residences and businesses seem to be woven into the environment. As I walk down newly paved road, I am absorbed in my meditation of urban structures and natural landscape. Mud and thatch houses stand beside cinder-block barber shops, sharing the foothills with towering eucalyptus and native flora. But as captivating as the scenery is, something cuts through the serene surroundings.

A faint hum of joyful cheers captures my attention. The further I travel down the hill and into the neighborhood, the more pronounced and contagious the shouts become. I find myself smiling, and anxiously looking forward to sharing the joy that spills over the school walls of the Tesfa Foundation's first school.

As I enter the compound, half of the school's 70 kindergarten students stuff the remnants of 'snack time' into their mouths and rush toward me. I am engulfed in a sea of bright eyes and extended hands. The dozens of handshakes turn into lifting dozens of kids into the air, and finally I've become just another piece of the brightly colored playground equipment. I am covered in cookie crumbs and can barely move among the mob of children, but I am having a wonderful time.

The last hand is shaken and the last 'ciao' yelped out, and I step out of the school yard and back into Shiro Meda’s distinctive environment. The euphoric cheers and squeals fade as we climb up the hill toward the main road.

I reflect on my experience. I am truly privileged. And it is not my background or upbringing; it is that I am able to take part in this work. The collective spirit of our children resonates in me, and now, wherever I go, it pushes me to make the most of my time with the Tesfa Foundation.

Through this work, I have been exposed to some of the strongest and most inspiring individuals I have ever met, our students. And I look forward to their future, as well as my own.

No comments: