Monday 11 October 2010

Ethiopia's Future Superstars

Team Tesfa Teens


Addis Ababa: October 9, 2010

by Karin Lohmann

It is Wednesday morning in the Ethiopian capital city, Addis Ababa. The time is six in the morning and the sun is about to rise over the local district of Piassa.

It is cold, and the city's residents are only starting to wake up, but five girls are already dressed in shorts and T-shirts, ready to run. They look like ordinary girls, but they could be Ethiopia's future superstars.

“I will be a famous runner, not only in Ethiopia but throughout the world,” says 16-year old Berkinesh.

Berkinesh is like the four other girls selected to be part of Team Tesfa's teen program. This means that they now have a safe home, and they get training and food, three ingredients which are essential to become professional athletes.

“If I eat a lot, I run faster,” says Asnakech at 16 years of age.

This morning the girls are doing a photo shoot with the Danish photographer Soeren Malmose and myself, a Danish journalist. In about two months the pictures of the girls will be shown in an exhibition in the capital of Denmark, Copenhagen.

“Look in the camera, put your chin up and smile,” Soeren is telling the girls, while two of the male athletes from Team Tesfa are trying to hold back the curious passersby.

The girls must pose like stars in a running shoe advertisement, and it can be quite a challenge to do a photo shoot in the middle of the chaos of Addis Ababa. But the girls are already professionals. Even the youngest girl, 14 year-old Fantu, seems to have forgotten the heavy personal problems many of the girls are facing as she is running in front of the camera.

We stay in Addis Ababa ten days, following the runners. We have joined the training with their coach, visited the teens' home, taking pictures and conducting interviews about their backgrounds and dreams.

Being part of Team Tesfa will change their lives.

“If I was in my village, I'd be married now. I'm 16 years old,” says Asnakech.

And that is the situation for most of the girls. They come from poor backgrounds. They have come to Addis Ababa hoping to get a better life, and they have chosen to run to reach their dreams.

“When I lived in the village, I heard about Haile Gebreselasse and I wanted to be like him,” says Meseret who has been part of the Team Tesfa program for some years.

Haile Gebreselasse is the world's best marathon runner. Runners in Ethiopia are as famous as singers and actors, and for the young girls running can be a way out of poverty and early marriage.

“I'm happy when I run, and I know that tomorrow will be a better day if I reach success,” says Asnakech.

And hopefully the photos in Piassa can help to make a better future for girls. The photos in the exhibition will be sold and the proceeds will go to Team Tesfa.

No comments: